Thursday, June 11, 2015

On The Antique, Vintage, and Retro Nevers Q & A

Recently I was thinking about things I would never do and my thoughts wandered into the area of vintage. In this I realized that many of the question and answer posts that get passed around focus on things we do or that we like. I’m not saying this is something negative, I just think it’s interesting to consider there’s another side to things that can reveal as many interesting facts or even maybe make us consider some things we’ve never thought about before. So setting out to fix this non-existent problem, I decided to type up some of the things I thought about and make a Q & A about them.

That being said, here is my Antique, Vintage, and Retro Nevers Q & A. Feel free to give them a go yourself!


1. What is one antique/vintage/retro item you’d never want to receive as a gift or would never think of purchasing?

There are a lot of things I can think of from the 60’s, and despite the fact that I’m making up my own questions, this is a tough one. I’d have to say, though, I’d never want to own a piece of Victorian hair jewelry where the entire piece comprises of hair. I think there are a lot of pieces out there that are very pretty, but it would creep me out wearing or having something like a bracelet made of someone else’s hair.  

2. What are three movies made in pre-70’s Hollywood you’ve never seen and want to see? 

The Letter, The Great Race, and The Barkleys of Broadway. (With one film noir, one comedy, and one musical comedy, you can’t say I’m not varied in my movie watching.)

3. What are three movies made in pre-70’s Hollywood you’ve seen and will never watch again?

Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (too stressful and I tend to prefer Taylor’s early movies), On the Waterfront (not a fan of Eva Marie Saint, so I rarely watch movies with her more than once- Raintree County is an exception), and D.O.A. (I just didn’t like it).

4. What is one antique/vintage/retro item you own, but never imagined you would?

A lovely (very fragile and somewhat stained) early 1900's lace dress. 



5. What is one thing you do relating to vintage you never pictured yourself doing?

While my love for sewing and old books make sense, I never imagined myself blogging about it!

6. If you could never dress outside a specific decade of the past again, what decade would you choose?

I would choose the 1950’s because I love full skirts, petticoats, and overall the style of clothes during this decade.   

7. What is one thing you could never bring yourself to do to an antique/vintage/retro item?

While I could probably write an entire post on this, the biggest for me might be anything that harms an old book that is still readable. No purse making, no hole drilling to make a lamp, no gluing them together to make a Christmas tree, just no! Leave them alone so weird people like me can find them, read them, and be delighted in how horribly stuffy, overly dramatic, or extremely funny they are because they’re so dated. :p
 

Just because this is titled Cutting Out & Making Up of Garments does not mean it should be made into an accessory for one.



8. Is there an antique/vintage/retro item you own that you would never give up?

My grandma’s high school class ring. It's not really worth anything, but it's the only ring I have that fits, it's very simple, and I love that it belonged to my grandma.

 

4 comments:

  1. This is thoroughly awesome, Inky, thank you very much for creating this cool set of questions and focusing on topics that I think many of give thought to in the scope of our own lives, but which may not always be discussed that often in the public forum. I adore the wonderful set of questions you've devised and will definitely try to answer them myself, too, later this summer - I'm sincerely looking forward to it.

    Huge hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading your answers if you do!

      Delete
  2. I've thought about people doing their faves and wondered why no one had done the 'never list' for vintage and retro items, yet never thought of comprising my own list of questions. I enjoyed this and will have to take a whack at it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete

Happy to hear what you think...