Tuesday, September 30, 2014

On "Leading Ladies: The 50 Most Unforgettable Actresses of the Studio Era": A Book Review


Title: Leading Ladies: The 50 Most Unforgettable Actresses of the Studio Era
Genre: Non-Fiction

About the book...
A TMC Film Guide, this book presents the reader with an array of information about 50 of Hollywood's biggest stars, accompanied by photographs of them and their biggest movies. 

What I think...
I love this book! It's perfect to flip through at random. it's concise, it has lots of pretty pictures of the actresses and the stills from the movies they were in, and with 50 actresses included you have a nice variety of stars to read about. 

The format of the book is great. There are four pages devoted to each actress. The first page being a full page photo; the second, biographical information; the third, a list of what TCM considers their "essential" films and summaries of them; and the forth, notes on their personal style and pieces of trivia. I though this presented the information in a way that makes it enjoyable to read and did so in a way that didn't make it seem overwhelming. 
 My favorite aspects of this layout are the "Style Notes" and "Behind the Scenes" portions, both which I like because I always adore learning more about who my favorite actresses were as a person, as well as some of the more interesting stories you don't always hear about. 

After flipping through and reading this, I am definitely planning  on getting the Leading Men book as well. 
 
To sum it all up... 
This is a fantastic book with beautiful glossy pages and loads of facts and fun about some of Hollywood's greatest. I highly reccomend this for anyone who adores classic film! ♥️

2 comments:

  1. Yeap, I need this. Omg it looks soooooooooooooooo good!! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I had thought of you when I was writing this post because of all the TCM stuff you've posted, so I'm glad you saw it. :) I hope you're able to get a copy, it is definitely one fabulous book!

      Delete

Happy to hear what you think...